Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 6 June 2017

Oliver Cromwell's bones


Looking at the latest mailing from Quora I found by chance the following piece posted in answer to a question as to current British attitudes to Oliver Cromwell. It is from Robert Frost, who works for NASA and describes himself as an Archaeology student. Here is what he says:
"Oliver Cromwell was buried and then later dug up to be posthumously executed and desecrated. Most of his body was then thrown in a pit and his head became a collector’s item.

It has been the dream, since the age of six, for this Brit, to find his bones and desecrate them again by urinating all over them. Cromwell and his Parliamentarians were responsible for destroying many beautiful castles, including the one in my home town. I’ve always despised him for that."


I think it's good and reassuring to know there are people like that out there...

And yes, Cromwell was in part responsible for the destruction of the castle in my home town of Pontefract.

 

No comments: